Monday, July 26, 2010

Its Alive

Everybody has an opinion, song, or movie (Brown Sugar one of my favs) on hip-hop. So of course, I had to write something about it. I think it is like many of the social constructs that we create. Hip-hop is a tremendously influential force that for the most part should be taken as entertainment, but it has the power to be a catalyst for social change if used that way. Hope you enjoy. As always, please comment, follow me, and/or email me at yenba.cire@gmail.com for questions. Take care, Yenba

Hip Hop is still alive,
If you every thought it exist,
Hip-hop is the people,
Not just rhyming or
Alliterative words that dis,
Nas says Hip-Hop is dead,
I say it has just changed forms,
Hip started out as being a voice for the weak,
Now has hopped in the storm,
I do not mean turbulent times,
Or a storm with rain or hail,
I mean the storm or capitalism,
Going back to Cali with Rocking Bells,
I’m not so mad at the sell out,
Everybody’s got to eat,
I’m not so mad that it has changed,
And infused the majority into the streets,
I do sulk at the fact, that in its effort to overcome,
Hip-Hop has become a distributed tool,
To brainwash where we come from,
We are not all from the gutter,
Or about small waist and big behinds,
Some of us jump up at gimmicks,
Making us look like we’re blind,
Blind to the facts,
And like a base head on crack,
Hip-hop has become addicted to stardom, women and money,
Its alive, we just need to take it back.

I still believe you are beautiful!
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment